To have efficient air conditioning is all about AC duct maintenance – an often overlooked but crucial component. You need to regularly inspect it, change the air filters, clean the ducts, seal any leaks, and maintain the surroundings. Remember: your AC ducts are essential to distribute cool air throughout your space.
Its proper maintenance is essential for optimal performance and indoor air quality, so read this complete guide and get to know the details of some indispensable tips to help you keep your AC ducts in top condition.
How Do You Maintain Ductwork?
Inspection and some component replacement are keys to the correct maintenance of your AC split duct. But other steps can significantly enhance the efficiency of your cooling system and the quality of the air you breathe, and they are all listed here.
Check some essential tips to keep in mind, and take your notes. They definitely should be part of your HVAC maintenance checklist!
- Inspect the ductwork regularly by performing visual checks for any visible damage, leaks, or signs of wear and tear. Address these issues promptly to prevent them from worsening.
- Replace air filters regularly, ideally every 1 to 3 months. Clean filters ensure that the air flowing through the ducts is free from dust, allergens, and pollutants.
- Schedule professional duct cleaning every 3 to 5 years. This deep cleaning eliminates built-up dust, debris, and mold that can hinder airflow and reduce indoor air quality.
- Seal any gaps or leaks in your ductwork. Leaky ducts can lead to energy wastage and uneven cooling distribution, impacting your comfort and energy bills.
- Keep the area around your ducts clean and free from obstructions. Furniture, storage items, or debris can block airflow and impede proper ventilation.
Follow these tips for your ducted air conditioning maintenance and the air of your home will be of the highest quality again! Do you have any problems? Check everything you can before calling an AC service provider.
How Long Does AC Ductwork Last?
Generally, well-installed and well-maintained ducts can last 10 to 15 years or even longer. However, inadequate maintenance and poor installation can shorten this lifespan significantly.
The lifespan of AC ductwork depends on factors like material quality, installation, and maintenance. That is why, if you want to have an AC installed this season, you should hire the best service.
How Frequently Should You Clean Your Ducts?
The ideal frequency for duct cleaning evolves the needs of your family members, so if someone has allergies or respiratory issues, do more frequent cleanings (every 2 to 3 years). The same happens if you live with pets.
Homes with pets tend to accumulate more dander and hair in the ducts, warranting more regular cleaning, usually every 2 to 3 years.
After renovations or construction work, it is advisable to clean your ducts to remove any debris or dust that may have entered the system. In general guidelines – for homes without specific sensitivities – a cleaning every 3 to 5 years is a reasonable guideline to ensure all the benefits of AC tune-ups.
In any case, AC duct maintenance is crucial to preserve the efficiency and air quality of your cooling system, and, by the way, no one will help you achieve those goals better than eHARDHAT’s HVAC contractors. So don’t hesitate to call them!